Thursday, June 16, 2011

Rainy Sad Day

I am sad today because across the ocean our son is there. Waiting for his family, not even knowing who we are yet, or that we exist. I wonder what he has gotten to eat today, maybe a bowl of rice or beans and yet here we sit with a fridge full of yummy food. I pray he got to drink clean water today, and that he doesn't get hurt or sick, or lice. I hope that someone today was kind to him, and gave him a hug. I want to hug him and hold his tiny dark little hand in mine. I feel like I was born for this, just like I knew I would one day be a mom, I know I was born to be a mom to him. If a white person could have some African in their blood, I must have some in there somewhere. I love the food, the music, the culture. It truly is beautiful. I might not be the perfect mom, I certainly am not the best at figuring out how to discipline...I would much rather just have fun and love on my kids. But I am his mom. And he is our son. Watching the Ugandan orphans last night I could hardly hold back the tears watching them dance and smile, playing their drums. The louder the drums got, the more I had to smile to keep from crying. I got to meet an amazing family who has adopted their precious girl from Ethiopia, and she is the same age as Akwasi. I am so amazed at how God works because they were sitting right behind us. I can't wait to see the two of them play together. I know God's timing is best, and I trust Him.

3 comments:

  1. Ashley, I love this post. I can so feel your excitment and your longing. Can completely relate. We frequently talk about "I wonder what Isabel is doing right now?" LIlly most of all frequently says "Mom, she must be sleeping right now...the sun is up here." So excited to read your blog! Love you, you sweet blonde (partly African) girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS--I love this font too. May need to borrow it sometime...

    ReplyDelete
  3. funny how i "happened" upon your blog today. i know the feeling--it feels soo close....all those feelings still in my heart. reminders from friends help me remember how truly blessed we are by this amazing miracle of life. soo excited we met. we (me and my hubby) had a hard time holding our tears back, for different reasons i'm sure. we miss our ugandan girls, but we also know that aregash seeing "her" people dancing brought some uneasy feelings at first. you have a friend here who gets it. see you again soon--need to give you a little package. :0)

    ReplyDelete